I remember the first time I tried CrossFit, I absolutely sucked. I was weak, I was slow, I was uncoordinated, and for the life of me, couldn’t figure out how to rig up a band on the pull up bar. That was two years ago.
I remember when I came back to CrossFit and started doing it consistently, I was still weak, slow, uncoordinated, and finally figured out how to rig up a band on the pull up bar. Since that day, almost a year ago, I’ve seen some exceptional “gains” in my lifts. Many people have asked me how to get stronger or how to get in better shape. Here are the 5 steps I follow every day to see progress:
- Lift as heavy as you can – I know what you’re thinking. “But not if you have bad form.” If anyone in the world is an advocate for proper technique, it is I. But the reality is that you really won’t get stronger if you’re not lifting heavier.
- Lift as fast as you can – This is in regards to the metcons where you’re doing wall balls, or shoulder to overhead, etc. If you want to get faster, then MOVE FASTER.
- Lift as safely as you can – technique prevails….ALWAYS. In the world of CrossFit you can get away with bad lifts, but in the world of your health, don’t risk it. Learn the positions, drill the heck out of them, and watch your lifts get that much better
- Lift with as much intensity as you can – it’s not a social club; well for some it is. And that’s fine. But if you want to see progress, bring some intensity. You expect to move up from an empty barbell if you’re not moving with purpose? Not gonna happen.
- Lift as consistently as you can – You showing up once or twice a week isn’t gonna cut it. Get in and do work. If you’re not, then don’t complain that you’re not seeing results. I can tell you why you’re not seeing results. BECAUSE YOU’RE NOT IN THE GYM!!!
I guarantee you that if you follow these 5 steps, you will be well on your way to a fitter you.